What is Magento?
Magento is the third most popular eCommerce platform out there. It was founded in 2007, and ever since then, has been providing retailers and brands with amazing eCommerce solutions. It has some very effective features that can be employed to take your brand’s digital marketing strategy to the next level.
Magento utilizes open source technology to provide eCommerce merchants with high-functioning online solutions. Through Magento, an online merchant can really provide their customers with the optimum shopping experience!
Magento 1 and Magento 2 are two main versions of Magento Open Source. Magento 1 is the earlier version of the platform, whereas Magento 2 is the later version and also the one that replaced Magento 1 in 2017. It is generally better than Magento 1 since it has better SEO features and coding.
If we were to get into all the features Magento offers, this article would span tens of pages! Here’s a small, somewhat concise list of everything that Magento offers:
- Related products
- The option to restrict to products/stores/categories
- Unique coupon code generation for promotions as well management of coupon usage
- Multi-tier pricing for quantity discounts
- Minimum Advertised Price (MAP)
- Landing page for categories
- Customer groups
- Product bundles
- Recently viewed and compared products
- Persistent shopping cart
- Free shipping options
- Newsletter management
- Send to a friend for all visitors or registered users only
- Send wish lists by email
- Manage more than two websites and stores via a single Administration Panel
- Customizable templates
- Customer support in multiple languages and for different currencies
- Content Management System for informational and landing pages
- Automation of tax rates according to a customer group, product type, or location
- CAPTCHA functionality to keep out the bots and spammers
- Grouped and bundled products that are straightforward and easily configurable
- Ability to cater to different customer groups with different price points
- Sell virtual products
- Downloadable/digital products with samples
- Unlimited product attributes
- Automatic image resizing and watermarking
- Search results rewrites and redirects
- RSS feed for low inventory alerts
- Contact Us form
- The ability to create and edit orders from the admin panel
- Advanced customer accounts
- Order history with status updates
- Order tracking from account
- Password reset email
- Order and account update emails
- Customizable transactional emails
- Features that are wholly search-engine friendly
- Google Site Map
- The ability to create search-engine-friendly URLs
- SEO meta-information for all aspects of the site, including products.
- Auto-generated site map for display on site
- Auto-generated popular search terms page
- Google Content API for shopping
Advantages of Magento
If the long list of features isn’t enough to convince you of how good Magento is, here are a few facts about it that will definitely change your mind:
- Magento offers you the opportunity to expand your business.
- Magento is easily customizable.
- Magento has a giant, constructive community.
- Magento is SEO-friendly.