What is an App?
App is an abbreviation of the term “application.” By definition, it is software that can be installed on a mobile phone, tablet, or computer. However, the most common reference is made to a mobile application when we say the word “app.”
In essence, the purpose and function of an app are extremely specific. For example, the app for a clothing store is only relevant if you want to check out the catalog and order clothes. Similarly, a food delivery app operates to connect you to food vendors and buy food. The functionality of an app is entirely dependent on the category that it serves! A business app will tackle features pertinent to running a business, whereas a shopping app will help you with just that.
Common Features of an App
Some common features of an app include:
- Good image resolution
- Search options
- Bright and bold color schemes
- Push notifications
- User feedback
Advantages of Mobile Apps
Let’s look at some of the advantages offered by mobile apps:
1. Mobile apps are a great way of increasing brand awareness and promoting your business.
When you build a mobile app containing great offers and promotions, you are essentially setting up a platform that will attract new prospective customers! The more benefits you incorporate in your mobile app, the more it will profit your business. Timely notifications and updates reach out to your audience and motivate them to interact with your brand more often. Additionally, live updates are a great way of creating more interest.
2. Mobile apps allow you to better connect with your customers.
Going beyond normal face-to-face communication should be the priority of every business around the globe. In the 21st century, your customers expect to be able to interact with your business in convenient and speedy ways.
In this regard, you can take advantage of the potency that comes with a mobile app, and use it to connect with your audience. This will provide a consistent customer experience. If built adequately, it will considerably improve your brand image and present you as a thought-leader to your audience.
3. Mobile apps translate into higher engagement from your audience.
The goal of any brand is to get as much engagement from its audience as possible! You can use a mobile app to get out there and grab the attention of your existing and potential customers and encourage them to invest some time in your business.
Other advantages include:
- Staying ‘front of mind’ with customers.
- Providing users with ease of access.
- Capturing data for remarketing purposes.
- Boosting levels of communication.
- Encouraging staff interaction.
- Boosting levels of productivity.
The Disadvantages of Mobile Apps
Apps can also create certain challenges and issues for businesses:
- A lack of clarity and usability
- High developments costs
- Creation can be complicated.
- Requirement of regular updates.
Types of Apps
The different types of apps are:
- Web-based apps (Google Docs, Pixlr.com, Codepen.io, Evernote, Trello, and Netflix)
- Native apps (Whatsapp, Spotify, Waze)
- Hybrid apps (Instagram, JustWatch, Twitter)
Thanks to technology, there is no clear distinction between the apps these days, and they are all multi-purpose.
How to Get Apps
Mobile apps can be downloaded from the following stores, depending on the OS of your mobile:
- BlackBerry World
- Windows Phone Store
- Opera Mobile Store
- Samsung Apps
- Apple App Store
- Google Play Store
- Amazon App Store
- Microsoft Store
We all know that apps run the world, and with technology improving day by day, their influence will continue to grow.